When you're a caregiver of an individual diagnosed with a chronic or serious medical condition, access to accurate resources about legal and practical matters like taking time off from work, managing family finances and medical bills, replacing lost wages, estate planning, and other matters, can be hard to come by. Triage Health is here to bridge the gap with free materials and resources created specifically for caregivers of anyone diagnosed with a serious medical condition.
Quick Guides, Checklists, & Other Materials
It is important to understand the laws, protections, and resources that may be available to help caregivers. Our free Quick Guides and other materials will explain your potential options for taking time off work, paid leave, stress management, support services, and much more.
These materials present information in a brief, easy-to-digest, printable format to take some of the stress out of this process. If you are looking for a more comprehensive breakdown, see our Practical Guide to Cancer Rights for Caregivers.
- Quick Guide to Caregiving
- Quick Guide to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Quick Guide to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Extended Quick Guide to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Quick Guide to State Paid Family Leave Programs
- Health Insurance Resource Hub
- Navigating Finances Resource Hub
- Estate Planning Resource Hub
- Spanish Resources
If you are a health care professional interested in ordering free, bulk copies of our resources please email us at TriageHealth@TriageCancer.org.
Animated Videos, Podcasts, and Webinars
Triage Cancer's free animated video on Supporting Caregivers dives into employment rights, finances, and ways to find support. And, in terms you can understand, the How to Triage Cancer Podcast explains ways that a caregiver may be able to take time off from work. Best part? No subscription required! If you are looking for more comprehensive information, then the webinars may be for you.
- Animated Video: Supporting Caregivers (6:10)
- Animated Video: Taking Time Off & Paying For It (4:59)
- Podcast: How to Triage Cancer: Taking Time Off Work (13:53)
- Webinar: Caring for Caregivers
- Webinar: Fostering Resiliency in Families Facing Cancer
- Webinar: From Cancer Survivorship to Diaper Changes – Creating a Family After Cancer
- Webinar: Caregivers: Learn to Listen to Yourself and Cultivate Beneficial Self-care Habits
- Webinar: Building a Stronger Relationship With Your Partner after a Cancer Diagnosis
- Webinar: Anticipatory Grief and End of Life Care: How to Prepare and Care for Life-Changing Events
If you're not sure exactly where to start with caregiving resources, this Cancer Finances module is for you! This interactive toolkit will walk you through a series of questions to help you find the information you are looking for and that applies to you.
Understanding state laws is important because sometimes they provide more protection than federal laws. Triage Cancer's Charts of State Laws related to employment will take you through laws that may assist caregivers in your state. The Medicaid chart includes information on in-home support services.
More Caregiving Resources
- National Alliance for Caregiving Report: From Momentum to Movement: Developing a Unified Strategy to Support Family Caregivers Across the Nation
- National Alliance for Caregiving TakeCare: How Crisis Impacts the Way We Care: Understanding COVID-19’s Impact on Family Caregivers & Lessons for Future Challenges
- National Alliance for Caregiving: The Circle of Care Guidebook for Caregivers of Children With Rare and/or Serious Illnesses
- Caregiver Action Network: Around the Clock Caregiving